Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Love of Fall and a Halloween Inspired Wreath

Oh, how I love Fall!  The cooler weather, the apple cider, the scarves, the fires in the fireplace and the holidays. Somehow, Southern California has forgotten that it's Fall.  Today is was over one hundred degrees here!  To convince myself that it really is Fall, I made a Halloween inspired wreath.  So far, it's not really working, the heat is way more convincing than a wreath, but it sure is cute and it does make me smile.  Because it so cute, I wanted to share it with you!

Here is how I made it:


To make this wreath I bought a foam wreath (WalMart has them the cheapest!), black yarn, a 3 inch circle punch, pins, scissors, and a scary book.  Yes, I am completely obsessed with the yarn wreaths that are so trendy now and wanted to try it out, only to cover up all of my hard work.  And no, I guess you don't really need a scary book.  It could technically be any book, but how cool is it to make a scary wreath from a scary book?  Well, I think it's cool!  I used the 3 inch circle punch to punch out about 300 hundred circles (WAY too many!).


Then I tied a knot in the yarn, and started wrapping.  And wrapping.  And wrapping.  And wrapping.  Yeah, I pretty much wrapped my life away, but I was pretty impressed with myself when I was done.


Getting those tight strands with no space between took some practice, but it all kind of blends together, so mistakes are easily covered.


After I had my yarn wreath, and was thoroughly impressed with myself, I started pinning the paper circles on. I found that if you pinch the circle in the center, they make a pretty flower shape, and look much better on the wreath itself.

This is the wreath after I finished all the paper circles:


Then I used some stiff felt that I had leftover from the wedding and cut out a couple bats and pinned them on.


Cute, right?  It's even better on the door!


I hope that you think this wreath is as adorable as I do.  Now, please excuse me while I turn the air down enough to enjoy a glass of hot apple cider without sweating.

This blog is linked to:
 and The DIY Show Off

2 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I LOVE it! So pretty, I mean spooky! haha. Great job, Jamie! :)

    Thanks for sharing in the DIY Fall Festival!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! And of course, thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete